St. Gabriel the Archangel School seeks to provide excellence in elementary education (K-8). As part of St. Gabriel the Archangel Parish, we strive to enrich our students spiritually and academically so they will be, like our patron saint, messengers of the Good News wherever they go.
In 1934 the vision of the new St. Gabriel Church and School in the Saint Louis Hills neighborhood was conceived. Ground was broken on the project in November of that year.In September of 1935 the parish school opened with 38 students taught by three School Sisters of Notre Dame. The growing parish added a second floor to the school and church building in 1939. That fall the classroom space accommodated 245 students. By 1950 the school was educating 550 children. By the late 1970s school enrollment reached over 700 and the parish added a new gymnasium.
The neighborhood and parish school have stayed strong. In 2000 the Call to Build Campaign began with a survey to determine priorities in maintaining and improving the parish and school. Parishioners pledged about $2.3 million to upgrade the church and school. This campaign enabled the school to expand its classroom space, to update the classroom technology, and to ensure that the building is handicapped accessible. Today St. Gabriel enrolls approximately 500 students representing about 300 families.
(above information taken from the Saint Gabriel the Archangel book by NiNi Harris, 2009)