The students should have chosen their sponsor by late September—this means thinking of a qualified person, asking the person, and the person saying yes. The students should inform the potential sponsor of the Sponsor/Student meeting in October and Confirmation night on April 23. They will be asked to complete some form of service with the student, and be interviewed by them during this process. The sponsors are also welcome (but not required) to attend the Enrollment Mass in October. I will add all of the actual dates as soon as they become available to me.
Our journey of faith in the Catholic Church is never taken alone. Our full initiation into the faith takes place in the Sacrament of Confirmation. One of the people important to us in the process of becoming a fully initiated member of the Church is our sponsor.
The word “sponsor” means “one who promises to help; one who takes on a responsibility for someone.” Just as we have godparents when we get baptized, so will you be asked to choose a sponsor for Confirmation. This person will literally stand behind you when you are confirmed; but hopefully, this person will also be “behind” you spiritually, someone who supports your decision to be confirmed and models MATURE Catholic faith for you.
Because of its connection to Baptism, godparents are a good first choice to consider for confirmation sponsors. These are people who have already committed to helping you grow as a faithful member of the Church. If godparents are no longer a possibility, follow these guidelines when choosing a sponsor:
- A sponsor must be a fully initiated Catholic (has received the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist)
- He/she should be practicing the faith.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- A sponsor may NOT be a parent of the candidate
- He/she should be an excellent role model for the student
- The candidate should respect the sponsor, and the two should build a relationship that will be ongoing throughout the candidate’s life.
- The sponsor should be able to help the student with a service project and attend a meeting with the candidate.
- He/she should know the name the student has chosen and will announce it to the bishop at Confirmation.